Off to the mountains in Washington for a week! Everything on sale while I’m gone, use discount code LLTNJN at http://mndphoto.com Hope to come back with some great images on my site!
From not until the end of the month make any purchase with me and get a free $100 voucher at nakedwines.com! Browse through the more than 1000 new works offered on our site from our last post! Now offering phone cases, canvas prints, metal prints, throw pillows and much much more! Come see what you’ve been missing at http://mndphoto.com !!
One question that people often ask me is how do you actually make an income online? Last year I made over $22,000 and on track for $30,000 this year but its not easy! I figured I would post a few quick tips to help those starting out.
- It takes time! Don’t forget that patience is a virtue, there are literally thousands of sites and people who are trying to sell online. Persistence is key when you’re first starting out. When you don’t see a dollar in your first six months, keep going!
- Create Create Create. In your first few months try to develop a niche and keep at it. You can look anywhere online and see what’s selling best but don’t try to duplicate those, come up with your own version. The more you have available to purchase the better odds you have of selling.
- Marketing is key. It takes a long time to gain thousands of followers but you can get there. Try to expand your reach beyond just one base, I use Twitter, Pinterest, Google, Instagram, and several other sites to reach followers.
- Don’t limit yourself to one discipline. I started off with photography then turned my free time into editing, adding textures, etc.. Now I find myself painting digitally and on actual canvas. This is not an open invitation to throw up a bunch of crap and hope it sells. Actually take time to learn how to master different disciplines and go from there.
- Talk to people! If you aren’t comfortable approaching people like me there are other ways. Use business cards or other advertisements to leave behind at different locations. When travelling I often leave my card anywhere I know people might visit. It might sound corny but it drives traffic to my site!
- Take time out of everyday to help your business. It’s hard to find free time anymore, most people have kids and full time jobs… I don’t and that gives me an advantage. However, anyone can skip that show on tv, get up an hour earlier, go out for sunset instead of taking a nap. The point is if you are truly dedicated you will and must find a way to get that time in!
- Going along with number 6, be aware of your surroundings. The world is filled with art, whether it’s a mountain an hour away, perfect light shining in on the kitchen table or spilled paint on the floor. Be inspired! Get inspired! You’ll find when you take time away from your everyday routine to just be aware it gets easy.
- Be willing to take a cut in pay. Can you live on less that what you earn now? If the answer is a definite no then walk away now. I enjoy simplicity and don’t need the next newest most expensive thing. Everyone wants to become rich online, search google and you’ll see tons of pages on how to strike it rich. The odds of getting rich doing what I do, or you inspire to do, are slim to none. So cut some corners and see how much you can save.
- Going along with number 8, manage your money. You’ll find that there are busy times of the year(Christmas) and slow times(usually mid-Summer) This varies but lots of people shop online anymore for the Holidays and mid-Summer people are on vacations or outside, not online browsing art. That means if you make $4000 in December you might only make $1000 in July, manage accordingly.
- Maybe this should have been Number 1-Find a great support system! Whether it be family, friends, your spouse, etc.. I am blessed with an understanding wife who supports me regardless of the situation. So hopefully that answers a few questions some of you might have about the business. If you have any questions feel free to comment or leave me a message on my site! http://mndphoto.com Dan Sproul
It seems like every New Year I write down what my resolutions will be, maybe just to be prepared when people ask me because I never seem to follow through. I want this year to be different! Last year was crazy, I started a new job, got married, lived with family while my wife and I house hunted, lost someone close to the family and more. In all the chaos I lost a little of what’s always been important to me-silence. Something most people seem to take for granted anymore, its easy given the constant distractions, the phone, tv, social media, computers…blogs? lol This year will be different, even if I spend a good chunk of my day busy promoting my site, following leads on my phone or reading blogs while watching a movie I will set aside some time for nothing! Maybe taking a long hike in the woods, putting my phone away for an hour, or even just taking a few minutes away from the computer. It really helps to put a little more happiness in the everyday chaos, so give it a try! Or stick to this years resolution with me! Happy New Year everyone!
Happy to announce our 1000th sale of the year! Celebrating by offering a discount just in time for the holiday rush! Thousands of unique #giftideas for everyone on the list. Just visit us at http://mndphoto.com and use discount code LLTNJN at checkout. Thank you for your support!!
My wife and I started our business, M&D Photography, about 2.5 years ago. We were both laid off and life threw us a curveball, instead of sulking and wondering what was next we pursued passion. We both love nature and photography and had a real appreciate for art. Together with little to no income we created what is today our main source of income. It hasn’t always been easy, many weeks we struggled just to get by. But it has taught us lessons of patience, hard work, communication, and most importantly LOVE. Without love and support from each other we never would have made it this far.
So thank you! Thank you to anyone who might read this and have browsed through our work, liked a picture, perhaps even bought something. Every bit of love from everyone matters and that is what makes relationships and the world stronger. Shop Small today and support all those other people who may have struggled and made it this far!
Been looking for a reason to avoid the Black Friday crowds? How about free shipping all day on our page!? Thousands of images to choose from as prints, phone cases, home décor and so much more. Today only ship anywhere in the world for free! http://mndphoto.com #art #giftideas #blackfriday #shopsmall #homedecor